Thursday 9 May 2013

My Assignments

For assignment 1, I examined the literature surrounding feedback in coaching. I discovered just how much there was, and how diverse the opinions were. I managed to find some common ground that existed between most research, and that is what I would like to use as a coach. Some examples of these are using positive feedback, and putting positive spins on negative feedback, and only using extrinsic feedback when it is necessary. There is so much technology that can help with extrinsic feedback, and these resources should be used as much as possible. Feedback is so important to coaching, and coaches should consider how what they say can affect their athlete.

For assignment 2, I coached my friend Ben Hogan, who is an elite golfer. Ben is going to Florida to play golf in an American college, so he is trying to perfect his technique as much as possible before he goes. I have played with him for a long time, so I already knew about his struggles with power. I had a preliminary session with him, and found that my drills and ideas were much too basic for him. In my proper session, which was filmed, we used some advanced drills that I found. These drills focused less on quick fixes and more on giving Ben a feel for how to use his hips to drive his swing. The drills we used were very beneficial, and he was improving slightly by the end of the session. I really enjoyed coaching, and I especially enjoyed coaching golf. I liked being able to communicate my thoughts through movements, and I liked Ben telling me how he felt he was playing, and how he thinks he could improve.

Both of my assignments have given me a greater understanding of the world of coaching, and I will take these skills with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment