Thursday 9 May 2013

Zone Defence

In one of the SCP tutorials, my team was asked to use the zone defence when playing basketball. I am not a very natural basketball player, I would even say it is one of my weakest sports, but I can still understand the tactics. This is not enough though. I know where to be for the zone, and I know when the player is my responsibility, but I don't have the natural basketball defensive skills to help me. For example, I don't natural stick a hand up for every shot, which effects the outcome of the shot greatly, and I don't use my arms to make it harder to pass. This emphasises the importance of basic skills, because without a solid understanding of man-to-man defence, a zone defence doesn't work.

We also had to use the tactic of a full court press, which is where we played man-to-man and tried to stop the opponent's progress up the court. This tactic is exhausting, because the whole team is sprinting around trying to hinder the passing of the other team.

After trying both defensive techniques, we were given free reign. Our team chose to use the zone defence, and to let all but one player on the other team shoot. There was only one player on the other team that could shoot well, so by letting the others miss, we had a chance of getting the rebound.

From this tutorial, I learned that although there are plenty of ways to defend, it is always best to tailor your defence to the other team's strengths and weaknesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment